- Lincoln Love
- Student Life
This week marked the inaugural LEAP (Lincoln Environmental Action Program) Week, a full five days of student-run and student-centered classes and community activities centered around environmental education and stewardship, with a specific focus on climate change.
Brought to our community by the Lincoln Environmental Action Group (LEAG), whose ambitious vision for this week was an inspiration to students, faculty, and staff. Working behind the scenes in preparation for LEAP Week, student leaders collaborated with teachers across divisions to integrate LEAP into the curriculum, with community activists to bring outside experts in to speak on these critical topics, and with each other to maximize community time to provide a variety of activities with a singular environmental focus.
- A screening of the documentary Tomorrow
- Keynote Speaker Jesus Holguin, the Executive Director of Environmental Justice League of RI
- A weeklong Food Waste Challenge to bring awareness to the environmental impact of food waste
- An Earth Day photo challenge
- Poetry, spoken word, and creative writing workshop
- Poster, zine, and art making session
- Learning protest songs along with Micah Selengut from the Sunrise Movement, a youth-led movement to stop the climate crisis
- Writing opeds, social media, and phonebanking lesson
- A community share-out to discuss all the lessons learned, wisdom gained, and action to be taken
Congratulations to LEAG on the first-ever LEAP Week! We're sure it won't be the last. View photos from the week here.