Homework due Wednesday, 15 April
Elder Ode - at least 20 lines. Think of someone older that you are from whom you have learned something or whom you just adore. Write an ode to that person.
Posted Tuesday 04/14/15 3:20 PM
Homework due Wednesday, 8 April
Approximation poem: at least 20 lines. Use the structure of Naomi Shihab Nye's poem to say something new.
Posted Tuesday 04/07/15 1:37 PM
Homework due Thursday, 2 April
Twenty-line poem (you started it in Writing Workshop)
Be sure to give the piece a title - and follow the directions exactly. That said, be inventive and whacky, too!
Here are the directions:
The 20-Line Poem
1. Write a line containing a metaphor.
2. Make a specific comment, but use incorrect grammar.
3.-7. Use at least one image for each of the five senses:
8. Write a poetic line using a number.
9. Use the proper name of a person and the proper name of a place.
10. Contradict the previous line - and make the two lines rhyme..
11. Use a piece of “talk” you’ve actually heard but you don’t necessarily understand.
12. Create a metaphor using the following construction: “The (adjective) (concrete noun) of (abstract noun) is (what?)
13. Make the persona or character in the poem do something he/she could not do in “real life.”
14. Refer to yourself by nickname and in the third person.
15. Write in the future tense and make a prediction.
16. Tell a lie about a famous person.
17. Make a declarative statement that sounds utterly convincing but that finally makes no sense.
18. Use a phrase from a language other than English.
19. Make a non-human object say or do something human (personification).
20. Close the poem with a vivid image that “echoes” an image from earlier in the poem.
Open the poem with the first idea and close it with the last. Use all twenty ideas, and feel free to repeat those you like best. You may rearrange the order of 2 - 19, but leave 1 and 20. The idea is to have fun with language and its surprises, so let yourself be wacky and inventive. Don't forget a title!
Posted Monday 03/30/15 12:00 AM