Academic Support in Middle School
Who is eligible for Academic Support?
When does a student enter the program?
- Any student who is experiencing difficulty in an academic subject(s) over a period of time
- A student who has been identified with a learning disability or attention issues
How does she enter the program?
- A student can enter the program at any time. She may stay for the trimester or the entire school year.
- She is recommended by a teacher, her advisor, her parent or herself
- Some students have psycho-educational evaluations on file at school that state their learning styles and offer teaching recommendations to address their learning style
- When a student is recommended for academic support, the academic support teacher is notified and the student is placed in the program during her free periods
When is Academic Support given?
- Academic Support is given during the school day when the student has a free period• Most classes are usually small groups
What can a student expect to accomplish in Academic Support?
- A student will gain better knowledge of her learning style, her strengths and weaknesses, and how to use her strengths to compensate for her weaknesses
- She will become better organized so that she can use her time more efficiently in order to stay on top of her school work
- During the support session, she will begin and finish homework assignments
- She will learn to advocate for herself
- She will gain confidence in her abilities, and recognize her improving academic success
Is there extra charge for academic support?